09 February 2012

Green and Pleasant Land

"We call this land of ours Great Britain, and there may be those who believe this a somewhat immodest practice. Yet I would venture that the landscape of our country alone would justify the use of this lofty adjective.

And yet what precisely is this 'greatness'? Just where, or in what, does it lie? I am quite aware it would take a far wiser head than mine to answer such a question, but if I were forced to hazard a guess, I would say that it is the very lack of obvious drama or spectacle that sets the beauty of our land apart. What is pertinent is the calmness of that beauty, its sense of restraint. It is as though the land knows of its own beauty, of its own greatness, and feels no need to shout it."

The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro


This is the most perfect description of England I have ever read in my life.

It has not helped cure my travel bug at. all.

(Also, I wish it were spring of 2007, so I could be doing this again:)



No comments: