01 August 2007

Everything I hate ....

About Mormon literature in one description.

We got our Deseret Book catalogue today (or rather, my parents did) and I happened to read this description:

The Bishop's Bride By Elizabeth W Watkins

"Andrew McCammon's stake president just gave him the two biggest shocks of his life. First, he is to be the new bishop of his ward. Second, he has three weeks to meet a woman, fall in love, and get engaged. What follows is the hilarious story of delightfully bizarre events that guide the right woman to him".

?!!

Ok, seriously?!! How does stuff like this get published?! I'm sure the author is a very nice woman and I wish her every happiness but-well, the word delusional comes to mind. My bet is that he'll find a girl that doesn't fit the mold, but then they'll fall in love and he'll see her differently and learn some very valuable lessons just in time. They'll enter wedded bliss just before the last petal falls and Mrs. Potts will sing their kids a lullaby while they dance.

Not to mention that I don't know of any Stake President putting a time slot on a person to get married. What's the Stake President going to do if he doesn't find the girl in three weeks? Excommunicate him? Not let him be Bishop? Good grief. Or, to quote Fred (I think it was Fred-) "Blimey, what a waste of parchment".

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I spotted this very book on a shelf in the BYU Bookstore today. I pointed it out to the friend I was with, and we laughed. Very hard. And then lamented the state of Mormon lit.

Liz Busby said...

What? I thought it sounded like a good read . . . .

Just kidding, of course. :D

Rachel EM said...

BLIMEY, WHAT A WASTE OF PARCHMENT.....

No no no no no... I think my favorite part was when the last petal falls and Mrs. Potts....

Ohhhh wow, Joni. Hee heee hee hee hee. Once again you are most entertaining.